Nutgone Replicating Progress of Don.S. device

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nutgone Replicating Progress of Don.S. device

Post by Peculian on Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I've spent much time researching Don Smith devices, Don Smith's work & lots of other stuff besides (like Tesla & Kapanadze as well). I've been spending most of my money as well as my time & I have recently started taking delivery of my components, here's a brief run-down of what my device will start out like:

I'm starting with a 555 based variable rate oscillator circuit, powering transformer, via a FET, which will give me a power supply similar to a NST, from here I will be running to a reverse Tesla coil, with a parallel spark gap in between.

I got most of my ideas from Patrick Kelly's website & eBooks, & my circuit can be found on his chapter 3 pages 40 onwards.

Today was a big day for me; today was the day I got a piece of wood out of the garage, & big box of nuts, bolts, fixings & electrical bits-&-bobs out & started putting it all together, wanna see???................

It's all there except for the power supply coil. That is all ready to start winding, but at 4000 turns I don't want to do it by hand, so I'm hoping to borrow a friends workshop & do it on a lathe.

Once all that's done I will power it all up & start making some sparks! Twisted Evil

I've left terminal posts to add my tuning capacitors later, to hopefully get resonance.

If it fails to work I will probably look at replicating a Kapanadze device (they are very similar, I think, & all are based on the work of the great Tesla anyway).

So..........

What do you think???

Another pic (just realised that one's not very good)......

Peculian
Admin

View user profile http://info-energy.forums.gs/forum

Back to top Go down

Re: Nutgone Replicating Progress of Don.S. device

Post by nutgone on Sat May 26, 2012 1:16 am

Thanks for moving this Peculian, I will be happy to continue any progress I make.

I'm thinking about having a go at that 4000 turn coil today, if I can make up some kind of rig with a cordless drill or even a winding handle. I have a counter, so it would be nice to mount that somewhere as well, to keep an eye on things.

nutgone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peculian on Sat May 26, 2012 2:30 am

Congratulations Nutgone.
Also thanks for sharing your info with us.
I in no way like to distract you from your research. But have you thinked to use tv`s flyback just for experiments
and at the same time preparing your homemade coil ?
I am fan of the self-constructed home made HVM (high voltage module).

LoL I have thoughs of different methods to use for the construction of the experimental device. Very Happy .
And your shared info helped somehow into all this Smile
Thanks again. Take Care of HV used at these machines.

Last edited by Peculian on Sat May 26, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peculian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sat May 26, 2012 9:23 am

Peculian wrote:
...................have you thinked to use tv`s flyback just for experiments
and at the same time preparing your homemade coil ?....................

Too late! I've made my HV coil today.

I did think about a TV transformer, but I knew I would need my own coil sooner or later, so I just got on with it.

Pics to follow shortly.........

nutgone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Right, here goes:..........

Here's my new HV coil pics, showing my odd winding set-up, the finished article & it on my board.....

Now, here comes the problem(s):.........

When I powered up first time I disconnected the 80 turn coil (primary of my output set-up, on the right) as it will just pull the voltage down & I will lose my sparks.

So, I connected up & got sparks. Then I had a play around with the frequency & got a nasty shock off the variable resistor! Shocked
So, why am I getting shocks from the low voltage side???

I decided to put the oscillator circuit on a separate board, like this......

But now things are getting even stranger.
I'm not getting any sparks! ......... UNLESS; I hold an earth (ground) cable close to the variable resistors! Suspect
If I touch the ground wire onto the body of the 47k variable resistor it sparks inside (& smokes), but if I touch it on the 4.7k variable resistor the sparks at the gap get better.

I'm obviously getting some kind of feedback from somewhere, maybe there's something wrong with my oscillator circuit.

Any ideas???

Anyhow, I'm stuck until I get my LCR meter. Then I can measure my coils & start looking for capacitors for resonance.

Oh yes, & another thing, my FET (IRF9130) was getting VERY hot, so I put a bigger heat sink on, but it's still getting quite hot!

nutgone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peculian on Sat May 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Nice progress on your tests ! Congrats. Smile
Now to the stuff. But, first, keep in mind I am a novice as you are so thoughts shared by me are just pure ideas. Wink
Low Voltage part: I don`t think Mosfet transistors are that good for this kind of project as they are really powerful
nasty electronics part, and Mosfet`s do not go hand in hand with selfrunning oscillators.
A simple HV high power NPN or 2N transistor would be much better as they are somehow "delay-ed" in time (ns)
and have very good selfrunning oscillator driver capability.
Your setup seems to make a big shake in your circuit`s ambient background.
According to Don Smith theory you might get tens of KW`s from your circuit given that it is giving such powerful results.
Of course this, if you know how to collect this aggitate of your local magnetic ambient power. Exclamation
Don does this using the HV Hi-Power Cap Bank and pulses this to the isolation transformer.
A question comes to my mind now:
Did you managed to try a load a the 'secondary/output' coil ? I mean, did you connected there a standard household
light/lamp ?
And, what if you put in the midle of your spark gap another electrode directly connected to a good earth ground ?
Also, as Zilano pointed out at ef.com see for a leaking insulation from the secondary of your HVM to it`s primary coil.
If you continue to feel shocks in the air again than there is a 'brute' so to say method to calm the whole thing down Very Happy
Drop the BEMF force , which in your case it`s freaky powerful, into a big car battery to recharge or to condition it.
Let`s see if I can draw this thing up...ok here is the modified schematic...

Be careful with that HV around your body. Rubber shoes and Rubber Gloves are recommended while working with HV !
cheers.
Peculian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sun May 27, 2012 4:14 am

Thanks for that;
I have checked my HV coil & it's fine, no shorts. When I wound it I used special winding tape (the yellow stuff, NOT fibreglass, as I believe that's not so good for HF transformers). So there's a layer of tape between pri & sec.

I keep thinking the pri windings (8 turn 12v) should be on the inside, but it seems to work OK.

I had a little play today & left out the ferrite rods from the centre of the HV module coil. It seems to be behaving itself much better today.

As yet I haven't connected anything more than a multimeter to the output coils. I have some 12v bulbs, maybe I will try one of those next.
I also have some different output coils to try.

I don't know if my variable resistors are still live, I dare not touch them! just in case.

Will let you know how I get on.

nutgone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peculian on Sun May 27, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks again for showing your progress Nutgone. It will help others to figure out what to in a given situation.

Well, as Jacqui at ef.com told you about a only a layer of insulation not being enough, He is right to tell
so, because in this case we do not know how many thousands volt we get from the homemade HVM.
In tv flybacks this problem is engineered out with enough amount of insulation between primary & secondary coils.
Or just seeing at a car-ignition-coil (If you ever opened one btw) we can see how thick the layer between the two coils is.
Your variable resistors may have already fumed away, or simply their resistance has for sure become higher.
Yes no jokes there, check out resistors only when circuit is completely disconected from power input.
Anyway.
I wish all the best with your replication. Smile
Please be very careful with HV. Very Dangerous especially when a HV Cap/cap-bank is used in the secondary coil.
Put warnings about HV around your equipment not only for you but a sign for others too who happen to come close
out of curiosity just to see what you are doing. Exclamation
Peculian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nutgone on Sun May 27, 2012 9:53 am

Having better results now I've taken the ferrite rods out of the centre of the HV module coil.

If I lower them in (or the copper coated steel welding rods) I lose the sparks.

All I need now is my LCR meter so I can start getting some tuning caps for resonance.

Oh yes, & I added some more insulation between primary & secondary as well, & re-wound the 8 turn primary more central.

nutgone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peculian on Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 pm

nutgone wrote:Having better results now I've taken the ferrite rods out of the centre of the HV module coil.
If I lower them in (or the copper coated steel welding rods) I lose the sparks.
All I need now is my LCR meter so I can start getting some tuning caps for resonance.
Oh yes, & I added some more insulation between primary & secondary as well, & re-wound the 8 turn primary more central.

Nice to see you are going great. An LCR Meter is for sure a must have in this case.
cheers.
Peculian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum